-
December 20th, 2002, 10:58 PM
#1
Inactive Member
Can anyone tell me some movies done in Super 8 that I could find at a regular video store like Blockbuster? The only thing I know if is that one small part in Slacker.
Thanks.
-Danny
-
December 20th, 2002, 11:03 PM
#2
Inactive Member
By the way, I found a list of movies that use SOME Super 8. I'm looking for movies that are ENTIRELY super 8.
-Danny
-
December 22nd, 2002, 10:29 PM
#3
Inactive Member
Some Blockbuster's have,
"A POLISH VAMPIRE IN BURBANK."
This film is said to have been made for $2500 and sold a half a million dollars worth of copies.
Shot MOS dialog looped in.
DIRECTED BY MARK PIRRO.
A must to own or see!
"ADVENTURES OF THE KUNG FU RASCALS"
I seen this film in at least one Blocksbuster, (Martial arts section.)
This film cost $40,000 to make, before non linear editing hit, it was on lined at a post house.
Good Little Film. and special FX . The diector made all his own props and sets.
Great use of miniatures with full size people, just like the original persecutes shots in KING KONG.
DIRECTED BY STEVE WANG.
Also a must to own or see!
You can find these and other Super 8 films on line. 3 Super 8 films from Mark Pirro
"A Polish Vampire in Burbank"
"Curse of the Queer Wolf"
"Nudist Colony of the Dead"
(some scenes shot in 16mm.)
{"It's not a porno"}
Other films include:"Killer" by Tony Elwood
"Jet Benny " Rodger Evens
Check out Super 8 sounds web sit for listings of films using Super 8 images within 35 mm features. You'll have to look past there home page to see these listings.
Happy filming.
-
December 23rd, 2002, 04:07 AM
#4
tfunch24
Guest
Matt Pacini's "Lost Tribes" and Aaron Platt's "The Brandon Brady Story." Both shot entirely on Super 8. You can get both by contacting either Matt or Aaron directly.
Tom
-
December 28th, 2002, 06:51 AM
#5
Inactive Member
Gosh, another movie named "Killer?"
There's gotta be like 50 films named that.
Anyway, Kung Fu Rascals is worth watching.
I bought a copy a long time ago, and in fact, that's what convinced me that Super 8 might be viable for making a feature.
Just remember, those guys all worked in the industry before they made this film, most notably, Steve Wang did FX for Predator, and some other notable FX films, so those guys really knew how to make props, costumes, miniatures, and do in-camera FX!
Horrible dialog though, and this film is a good example of why I always say DON'T PLAN ON LOOPING YOUR WHOLE MOVIE!!!!!
Really, really bad out of sync dialog, and obviously NOT recorded at the location by the room sound.
Anyway, I can't think of any other complete S8 films either, except those that have vanished from sight, like Quest for the Monkey God, and others I used to see advertised in Film Threat Video Guide when it was still around.
Oh yeah, the Nick Zedd and Richard Kern movies, if you can find them. I had a couple copies of some of those at one time too, but used them as blanks to record Letterman episodes or something over.
Really horrible pieces of crap, if you ask me, but what do I know?
Matt Pacini
-
December 28th, 2002, 12:31 PM
#6
Inactive Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
Gosh, another movie named "Killer?"
There's gotta be like 50 films named that.
</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
IMDb lists 5 films titled Killer. Elwood's is one of them. I have not been able to find source for it.
-
December 28th, 2002, 12:48 PM
#7
Inactive Member
There's Brian O'Malley's Bleak Future, shot on Pro8mm stock in Death Valley.
The producers have sold all their VHS copies and do not plan to make any more. There are rumors of a DVD.
The audio is awful.
The movie is pretty bad. I gave my copy away to a fellow super8 guy. Now that it's no longer available I hear it's a collector's item. Just my luck.
-
December 28th, 2002, 08:06 PM
#8
Inactive Member
Actor
I bought the copy of "Killer" by Tony Ellwood many years ago from Super 8 sound. I know they do not sell this film any more.
This film was shot with sound utilizing the sound on film variety of Super 8.
In a couple of places you can hear the camera worring away.
Cinematically, it's not a very pretty movie.
The worst part of the film for me, was lack of good lighting. Could have used fill on a couple of backlite scenes or at least metered for skin tones.
If you would still like to see a copy, I could send you mine, that way I would not be in violation of copy write laws.
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 28, 2002 04:08 PM: Message edited by: bossjock-dp ]</font>
-
December 29th, 2002, 02:29 PM
#9
Inactive Member
You should be able to easily find "A Certain Sacrifice". You know the one with Madonna before she was famous. The movie is entirely Super 8 direct sound with at least some shot with an Elmo 1012S-XL using the old 200' sound mags. I know this cause I saw an interview with the director and they showed an old Super 8 clip of him holding the Elmo with 200' mag loaded microphone extended and with headphones on filming a scene. He also explained how Madonna was the only one paid ($100 I think) and he made her sign a release form which later helped him beat her in court when she tried to stop the films video release.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks